Philippine teams make waves in the WMO Asian Finals


The Philippines absolutely made their presence felt as they harvested a good number of medals and merit awards in the World Mathematics Olympiad (WMO) Asian Finals held last July 28, 2018, at the Science Center in Singapore.
The WMO Asian Finals consist of Individual and Team Competitions, where the Individual Competition score makes up 70% of each participant’s final score, and the results from the Team Competition make up the remaining 30% of the final score.
Harvesting one gold medal each were: Alteza, Gabriel (Philippine Science High School –Main), Dalangin, Gabriel Symone (Stonyhurst Southville International School), Chua, Alyannah Ysabelle (Tarlac Living Faith Academy), and Abara, Theodore (La Salle Greenhills).
Meanwhile, the following students took home silver medals: Ilagan, Gerard Elmer (Philippine Science High School –Main), Kue, Aiman Andrei (Zamboanga Chong Hua High School), Chan, Kirsten Dominique (Tarlac Living Faith Academy), Bernardo, Jose Maria (Ateneo De Manila Junior High School), and Reyes, Lauren Tan (St. Jude Catholic School).
Rounding up the medal tally with 11 bronze medals were: Chan, Andrei Lenard (Zamboanga Chong Hua High School), Lomibao, Isabella Gabrielle (Philippine Science High School –Main), Tabujara, Oniluv Troy (Falcon School), Claveria, Elihanna Angeline (International British Academy), Dolar, Harvey James (Falcon School), Tropicales, Bert Jacob (Southernside Montessori Muntinlupa), Ngo, Justin Miguel (Grace Christian College), Lim, Manuelle Christian (Philippine Science High School –Main), and Ramos, Jhann Rainey (Zamboanga Chong Hua High School), Dela Cruz, Brian Dominic and  Aquino, Ronaldvince Yrlwin.
Merit Awards were given out to the following students: Simbol, Ronn Derick (BHC Educational Institute) Que, Nate Brevin (Bayanihan Institute), Conte, Adryan Gabriel and Guarin, Tahnia Jannine (Mother Goose Special School System), Penullar, Kathleen Gabrielle (Kalalake Elementary School), Orongan, Dian Chrisse (Colegio De San Agustin), Sy, Luke Sebastian (Grace Christian College), Montales, Gullon, Deric Miguel, Fadri, Vincent Paul, Narvasa, Jose Oliver, Celine Amanda and Arcadio, Marcia (Philippine Science High School –Main), Espino, Mary Grace, and Galban, Arienn.
The WMO Asian Finals consist of Individual Competition and Team Competition, where the Individual Competition score makes up 70% of each participant’s final score, and the results from the Team Competition make up the remaining 30% of the final score.
The Individual Competition is a writing test which includes mathematical thinking, general knowledge and comprehensive questions. It mainly examines contestants’ mathematical knowledge, elaborative faculty and innovations of solutions.


x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MathDAP fields math wizards to 2018 AIMO

PH wins 294 medals in SEAMO 2017

MathDAP appoints students for World Math Olympiad